Tuesday, October 1, 2013

"Accelerated Distance Learning" Book Review



I knew one of the first books I wanted to read after I graduated high school was “Accelerated Distance Learning” by Brad Voeller. Not only did Mr. Voeller co-found College Plus (the college coaching program I will be starting in January), he also earned his fully accredited, 4-year college degree in less than six months for less than $5,000. That is no small feat!

As the subtitle says, this book articulates a new way to earn a college degree in the twenty-first century: via accelerated distance learning. The foundation of the book is laid by first discussing WHY a new trail is/should be blazed in higher education.

In the second part of the book, Voeller talks about the different facets of distance learning. These include chapters on credit-by-examination, portfolio assessment, internships, taking online and correspondence courses, and more.

The third section of the book shares important skills related to accelerated learning. These include speed reading and memory strategies. The fourth part of the book pulls all of these elements together and makes it all practical and applicable.

I would highly recommend this book to several groups of people. First would be parents of children who are in middle or high school. Accelerated Distance Learning is an excellent way to earn a degree while saving LOTS of time and money. I would also recommend this book to students in middle and high school as well. What appealed to me so much about Accelerated Distance Learning is the fact that I can earn my bachelor’s degree quickly, efficiently, and at the same time that I’m doing so many other “real life” things! I am not tied to a college campus for four years, and I will not be strapped with an enormous amount of debt afterwards. There are so many positives to this method!

Anyone can benefit from reading the portions on speed reading and memory work. Those are valuable skills that can be used in everyday life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bianca, We are excited for you. This smart method of getting your college degree is becoming more and more popular. I know of a lot of people young and old that have gotten their bachelor and master degrees using this method. Bianca, you are a smart young lady with God's Grace and we will pray for your success. Keep your eyes and trust in Him.

Te amamos muuuuucho! Bia/Bio

7 Eagles said...

Thank you so much for your comment, Bia and Bio! I am very excited about this method of learning. :-)

~Bianca