Thursday, August 1, 2013

Guatemala, Part 4


Here is the continuing story of our mission trip to Guatemala. . .

Wednesday (7/24/13)

I was a bit more tired than normal this morning. I still got up at 6:30 a.m. though. Today I had a burning hot shower thanks to J’s explanation of the widow-maker shower head yesterday. It was almost too hot, but I didn’t want to touch it for fear of ruining it! J

I did my devotions and chatted for awhile. For breakfast we ate cereal, toast with butter and strawberry jam, papaya, and orange drink. Today we mixed in with the Guatemalans at our tables. Or as J says, we “de-segregated.”

We left a little late this morning and picked up M (a translator.) I sat behind him and T on the bus and enjoyed talking with them.

One of the busy market streets we passed on our drive to the school.
Every morning when we arrive at the school, we walk past a street vendor who sells these sub sandwiches that smell so good. It’s a bit torturous!

Today the sport was basketball. We started off with the older kids. I jumped in and played for awhile. It was actually pretty fun! They are finally coming out of their shells and talking to us more. A little girl named E talks to me a lot, and one of the girls from the opportunity center told me I was beautiful. J

Playing basketball with the older kids.
The little ones only played ½-court basketball. Most of them didn’t watch long, but instead played games with us. T and some of her friends had us playing a game of tag where you had to go to jail if you were caught.

T (center) with me and one of her friends. I think she’s one of the most beautiful little girls I’ve ever seen!
Mis amigas.
The staff game today was pretty low-key. I guess basketball isn’t as big of a deal as soccer. J There was no point in me playing because I’m so much shorter than everyone. I was too tired anyway.

We left the school pretty late and drove to the opportunity center for lunch. It was amazing! We ate something similar to empanadas or pastelillos. They are called Doblados and are a fried meat pocket made with a corn tortilla, and filled with meat (ours had leftover steak), cooked onions, and cooked cabbage. We had them with a red sauce and a spicy green sauce, parmesan cheese, chips, boiled potatoes, oatmeal cookies, and a rose hips drink. It was an amazing meal!

Our delicious lunch!
Hanging out with some of the chicas at the opportunity center.
Mr. J led a game where he moves his hands together and the kids had to clap their hands. If they clapped when his hands did NOT cross, they were out. It was fun! Then we broke up to do the “Ojo de Dios” craft. I helped teach. Unfortunately my camera got dropped and the flash won’t work. L At least it was old and needing replacement!

At the end of our time, I gave away some of the pictures I had brought of our family. The kids *loved* them and kept asking for more. Even after we got on the bus, they ran over and asked for more.

We started driving towards the orphanage. I really wasn’t sure what to expect. Normally I would have thought I would cry a lot, but I haven’t had a lot of emotion so far. We had a little trouble finding the place. We were greeted by R who helps manage the orphanage.

As we walked through the house to the backyard where the kids were, I was struck by all the plants, pictures, and other little things around to beautify the home. The backyard was like a huge covered play area. They had a swing set, monkey bars, more swings, bird cages, an open area to play in with hopscotch, and a little table with chairs.

All the kids were sitting in chairs. When we walked in, they started singing a song. It was precious! They all introduced themselves and stated their ages, and our team did the same.

Introductions at the orphanage.
They sang a few more songs for us, most of them led by G. Then she told the story of Peter and the wolf, using a few members of our team to act it out. Ben (aka Peter) kept saying (by accident) “Bien lobo” (“good wolf!”) instead of “Viene lobo!” (“here comes wolf!”) J Pastor D was a hilarious wolf. J

After our little presentation, the kids played musical chairs. Three-year-old D got out almost right away. I went to console her and held her in my lap. Turns out she had a bad case of lice. The kids did some running races before we had some free play time.

Me with little D.
As I played with D, she seemed to be carrying a heaviness that no 3-year-old should have. She was probably suffering from one of the emotional disorders discussed in the foster care books I’ve been reading. I played with a 9-year-old girl named I. She was much happier, and wanted to ride on my shoulders everywhere.

Playing with I.
We toured the entire orphanage in 2 groups. They have about 25 kids total, but we only played with about 12 of them. It’s actually more of a “half-way home” where kids come for a year or two until the court decides who gets custody of them.

While the facility was well kept and very nice, I still had the overwhelming thought of “No child should live like this.” Kids were created to have a Mom and a Dad. They (orphans) don’t have anyone to change their clothes when they get dirty, wipe their nose when it’s runny, or truly trust. Good or bad, an orphanage is an orphanage.

They went in to eat dinner, and a little 6-year-old named E prayed. It was precious! He prayed for the Americans and that God would take care of their cars and that nothing scary would happen to them!!! J Kids are the best.

The kids eating their dinner.
While they ate, our group went into the chapel to hear the Director/Founder of the orphanage speak. She is incredibly inspiring and passionate about the ministries she has started (which include a church, homeless food kitchen, orphanage, and nursing home so far.)

Listening to “Mamita A” speak.
Leaving the kids was hard on most everyone. We drove back to the mission house for a late dinner. We ate a mix of leftovers.

A taco, boiled potato, and doblado.
We had our debrief meeting not long after dinner since it was so late. J, Pastor D, Ben, and I stayed up late playing Power Uno. It was funny! We each won one game and then turned in around midnight.


To be continued . . .











No comments: